Join the PTSD After Childbirth Yahoo Group
Powered by health.groups.yahoo.com

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Overcoming the Fear of Labor

Susan Schade

Susan Schade

On the final day of my birthing class, I felt helpless as I stood in the hallway having a panic attack. It was shortly after seeing a graphic birth video that I began having a physical reaction to the fear that I was experiencing.

I was not naïve. I knew how babies were born but at that moment, I was overcome by anxiety. After darting out of class, I made my way to the end of the hall. I had one hand on the wall and the other on my belly as I concentrated on controlling my breathing. The back of my neck was damp with sweat. I closed my eyes and imagined the air entering and leaving my body at a slow pace through my nose and mouth. I finally managed to pull myself together and join my husband again in the classroom…

Read more: http://www.empowher.com/news/herarticle/2010/03/17/overcoming-fear-labor?extsrc=coi-digest

No comments:

Post a Comment