Join the PTSD After Childbirth Yahoo Group
Powered by health.groups.yahoo.com

Thursday, February 25, 2010

I gave birth to my friend's baby - and it nearly cost me my life | Mail Online

By Matthew Barbour

Last updated at 1:23 AM on 27th February 2010

When Sarah Watkins, a 28-year-old mother of two from Leigh, Lancashire, agreed to be a surrogate for a friend, she had no idea how close she would come to tragedy...

Lying on my hospital bed after giving birth, with the doctors and midwives bustling around me, I began to lose consciousness. Sounds and voices were fading into the background. Before I knew what was happening, I was wearing an oxygen mask and waking up to alarm bells as a crash team battled to save my life.

I couldn't see anything and was crying out for my husband Dave. Reaching out, I felt him grab my hand, letting me know he was there. I was more terrified than I'd ever been in my life. This was it: I was going to die.

Greatest gift: But Sarah Watkins, with baby Lewis, took a terrible risk when she helped Anita (right

Greatest gift: But Sarah Watkins, with baby Lewis, took a terrible risk when she helped Anita (right)

Above all else, I thought about my two young sons, Matthew, who was two-and-a-half, and 18-month-old Adam, and wondered if they'd ever forgive me for leaving them…

I gave birth to my friend's baby - and it nearly cost me my life | Mail Online

No comments:

Post a Comment