January 19, 2010
"Confusion on the maternity floor!" and other fascinating topics to be presented at the 2010 Mother-Friendly Childbirth Forum
Register today atwww.motherfriendly.org
CIMS welcomes Michael C. Klein, MD, from Vancouver, B.C., to the 2010 Mother-Friendly Childbirth Forum Program. As part of the 2010 CIMS Forum, Feb. 26-27, in Austin, Texas, Dr. Klein will present two fascinating sessions on Saturday, Feb. 27.
In "Is home birth safe? A five year study of home births in British Columbia," Dr. Klein will delve into five years of data on all home births in British Columbia (all assisted by midwives), and compare outcomes to hospital births by midwives and a matched sample of physician hospital births. The study found that home births produced the best safety records.
- In his second session, "Confusion on the maternity floor! How Do Attitudes and Beliefs of Obstetricians, Family Physicians, Maternity Nurses, Licensed Midwives and Doulas Differ About Little Old Normal Birth?" Dr. Klein will present an in-depth look at perception about normal birth, the roots of those differences, the impact, and opportunities to increase collaboration across disciplines.
The 2010 CIMS Forum Program includes some of childbirth's most notable names, including Ricki Lake, Judy Norsigian, Penny Simkin and many more.
- The CIMS Forum kicks off on Friday, Feb. 26, at 8:30 am, with a session presented by Childbirth Connection's R. Rima Jolivet, CNM, MSN, MPH. Hear the vision of leaders from across the maternity care spectrum in Rima's session "20/20 Vision for a High Quality, High Value Maternity Care System: Looking Forward with a Shared Perspective" about how maternity care will help achieve health care reform goals.
- An informal, moderated discussion with acclaimed actress, filmmaker, author and childbirth advocate Ricki Lake closes the day on Friday, Feb. 26, as Ms. Lake accepts CIMS' annual Sharron S. Humenick Award-our highest recognition-for her birth advocacy work. Non-registrants may purchase guest passes for the Friday evening Award Presentation & Welcome Reception online at BrownPaperTickets.com.
- Register Now! Learn more about the CIMS Forum, including program details and travel/lodging information, on the CIMS Annual Forum page. Special early bird rates are available through Jan. 29. CIMS Members enjoy discounted member-only rates.
- Non-Registrants: Purchase your guest passes for the 2010 CIMS Forum Award Presentation & Welcome Reception.
Hotel & Travel Information
The group rate deadline is quickly approaching!
The Radisson Hotel & Suites Austin - Town Lake
111 Cesar Chavez at Congress
Austin, TX 78701
Book Online at
Please reference 'Coalition for Improving Maternity Services' or use the promo code 'CIMSAF' when booking online, to receive the group rate of $139/night plus applicable taxes. This rate is available until Jan. 25, 2010, or until the room block is sold out.
Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS) is a short 7 miles from the Radisson Hotel Downtown Austin. CIMS Forum attendees have a variety of ground transportation options for travel to/from the airport, including:
- Yellow Cab: (512) 452-9999
- SuperShuttle: Austin direct number: (512) 258-3826;
National number: 1-800-BLUE VAN (258-3826)
You are receiving this e-CIMS News to keep you up to date on CIMS' activities, research, policy issues, and conferences that may be of interest to you. If you have suggestions on what resources or information you would like to see in upcoming editions of e-CIMS News, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CIMS is a not-for-profit organization recognized as tax-exempt under Internal Revenue Code section 501(c)(3). Our mission is to promote a wellness model of maternity care that will improve birth outcomes and substantially reduce costs.