Join the PTSD After Childbirth Yahoo Group
Powered by health.groups.yahoo.com

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Postpartum Depression - Mental Health

 

A Personal Account
by Michal Finkelstein

It was as if I were being buried alive, sinking in quicksand, unable to find my way out. That's how I felt after the birth of my sixth child.

I was irritable; I cried; I was exhausted, yet had trouble sleeping. Getting through each day seemed nearly impossible. My own children avoided me; my husband tiptoed around me. I was convinced that my family and the world would be better off without me.

PPD was something that happened to other women Although I was a certified nurse midwife at that time, my lack of experience and understanding of postpartum depression matched that of the average layperson and, unfortunately, most medical professionals. Postpartum depression (PPD) was something that happened to "other" women who already had psychological problems.

Anyway, PPD would never happen to me. I was too "happy"! …

Postpartum Depression - Mental Health

No comments:

Post a Comment