Join the PTSD After Childbirth Yahoo Group
Powered by health.groups.yahoo.com

Friday, November 27, 2009

The silver lining beyond blues - Local News - News - General - Moonee Valley Community News

 

BY CAMERON TAIT

24 Nov, 2009 09:25 AM

FOLLOWING the birth of her first child Allegra two years ago, Jessica Rowe felt an overwhelming sense of anguish.

While she put on a brave face, the television presenter's dark and sometimes obsessive thoughts started to spiral out of control.

Strange things crossed her mind such as how easy it would be to hurt her baby, even though she knew she would never do it.

"It's normal to feel anxious as a new parent, but this went beyond the realms," she said.

"My heart was racing and it felt as though I was always having panic attacks and I was always nervous and on edge - it was frightening and terribly upsetting.

"These thoughts kept coming back which was very distressing and even though I tried to push them away, I realised it wasn't right.

"I thought with more sleep I would be all right, but I would just lie in bed wide awake and I knew I had to do something."

After six weeks of hell, Ms Rowe told her husband, former 60 Minutes reporter Peter Overton, she wasn't coping and needed help.

"It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do," she said.

"This was supposed to be the happiest time of my life and I should have been filled with joy at finally becoming a mother, but I wasn't happy."

The next day, Ms Rowe made an urgent visit to her obstetrician and was referred to a psychiatrist where she poured her heart out and was diagnosed with postnatal depression…

The silver lining beyond blues - Local News - News - General - Moonee Valley Community News

No comments:

Post a Comment